Bamboo clothing, sheets and towels….. oh my! Yes, that is what we said. Bamboo is an “incredible” fabric. There are numerous positives (and some negatives as there are in all products) and is one of the most “green” fabrics around. Here’s some of our reasons why we think that bamboo fabric is simply fantastic:
- It is one of the fastest growing plants on the planet today!! Some varities of bamboo can grow up to 4 feet in one day and can be harvested without damaging the original plant. It will then regenerate in 3 to 5 years.
- It produces 35% more oxygen than a batch of trees of the same size.
- Bamboo fiber comes from nature and completely returns to nature in the end. Bamboo is an excellent alternative to chopping down trees that take 30 years to grow full height.
- It has natural breathability and cooling properties. According to authoritative testing organizations, fabric made from bamboo fibers are 1-2 degrees cooler than cotton! For those of you that are tossing & turning with the night sweats, this could be your answer..
- It is a common fact that bamboo can thrive naturally without using any pesticide.
- Incredibly absorbent.
For all of the wonderful positives that bamboo has to offer us, there are some questions arising about the negative sides of this fast growing grass. It seems that growing it is considered truely “green” and sustainable but manufacturing it into the boards to make furniture, wood planks for floors, etc is where the trouble lies. It is an intensive process and you have to be careful that you look for bamboo made with water based, formaldehyde-free adhesives with low/no VOC’s (volatile organic compounds). They are focusing on this process more closely and are trying to come up with alternatives. The recent rise in bamboo’s popularity we are sure is forcing the manufactures to really look at this process with a fine-toothed comb.
For the purpose of clothing, sheets & bedding we think that this fabric rocks! The minute you feel it you will not want to sleep on anything else or feel anything else against your skin. It drapes like silk and feels so incredibly soft, it rivals even your highest thread count of Egyptian cotton sheets. Not to mention you are doing your part in cutting down on our cotton consumption which is 25% of the world’s pesticides. You can snooze with the best of them knowing you are making a difference and not comprising on your luxury sheets! We love that…. the best of both worlds, Fabulous & Green!
Here’s some links to some of our wonderful bamboo products:
Click here for a link to all of our bamboo products-
Click here for a link to our bamboo sheets-
Click here for a link to our bamboo towels-